$800 Million Hydropower Project Starts in Stung Treng

PUBLISHED: 21-JAN-12 10:17AM

Give our kids a better deal

PHNOM PENH (Cambodia Herald) – Work has begun on an $800 million hydropower dam in Stung Treng province in northeast Cambodia, sources said Friday.

The project, which involves the construction of a 400-megawatt plant, is a joint venture in which Electricity of Vietnam International JSC holds 51 percent with the remaining 49 percent held by Cambodia’s Royal Group of companies controlled by Kith Meng.

Keo Mib, a villager in Andong Meas village in Sesan district of Stung Treng province, said many Vietnamese were now working in the area.

“They’re cutting trees and clearing land in Sre Kor, the hydropower dam site,” he said. “But the company hasn’t talked about compensation yet.”

Meach Mean, coordinator of 3SPN, a local non-governmental organisation, said the dam would flood 100,000 hectares when built.

According to an environmental impact assessment, however, the dam will inundate only 30,000 hectares, affecting 1,500 households.

“I’m so concerned about this,” Meach Mean said. “We don’t yet know how we’ll survive  because our land, houses and ricefields will be flooded. As of now, nobody’s  come to talk with me or the other villagers.”

Advertisements

Comments are closed.

%d bloggers like this: